Vanilla Protein Blondies
With extra sprinkles
It’s Friday. Fridays are for cookies.
Or bars that taste like cookies.
Or bars that taste like cookies but are made with almond butter, almond flour, and a couple scoops of vanilla protein powder. It’s me, you guys. And I gotta ruin a perfectly good thing by making it paleo and good for you.
Stay with me, I swear they’re good.
I have to be honest. It’s on my mind and this is where I’m getting it all out. Ya girl is feeling helpless. Guilty. We’re all having our moments. Like this moment right now. *sips third cup of coffee whilst crying by 6am*
No matter your circumstance or situation, this is hard. At times, it downright sucks, no? I’m very grateful that I am healthy and able to write, cook, move, and type away posts like these filled with all the nonsense going on in my head. And I’m extremely grateful for whoever is reading it.
But I want to help more. I want to help so badly. I want to be in a hospital, help take care of the crazy toddlers that are driving their moms and dads crazy as they try to maintain a full time job, sew masks like my mom has decided to do for nurses and grocery store workers. (How amazing is that)?
It’s paralyzing. This world. Listen I’m great at being home. I mean I’m really nailing that. Made for it, here for it. Jerry, suit up kid, looks like it’s me and you again.
But this feeling of true isolation. That fine line I’ve been crossing between alone and lonely. It’s magnifying the helplessness. The guilt. We all have our own array of shit right now that we are dealing with mentally, physically, emotionally. And we all have a right to our own pain and frustration. But boy do I wish I could be doing more right about now.
And that’s a fact. A vulnerable Friday fact.
So here’s what I’m going to do instead. Focus on the positives, and distract us both with these blondies.
I have been needing, needing, these bars in my life. I wanted something that was basically a cookie and a bar wrapped into one. With extra sprinkles. Enter: these blondies.
They’re fudgy, healthy, filled with good fats and protein, and will fill your home with the smell of homemade goodness. And sprinkles.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I adore sprinkles. Obsessed. And frosting. They are my two bugaboos. My college friends can still recall the wedding we were at and the video that still exists of Emily at the cake table eating frosting.
So sue me.
This recipe is adapted from Bakerita. I used a mix of coconut sugar and maple syrup, because I love the smell and subtle taste of maple, and added 2 scoops of this protein powder. But you can absolutely leave that out.
The blondies will rise up as you bake them and then deflate as they cool to leave you with that rich, chewy, cookie-like texture. You can see the edges get nice and brown and those middle pieces are like warm cookie dough fudge.
The base is all about almond butter and almond flour. And while I highly recommend putting in a good amount of chocolate chips directly to the batter, I didn’t have much left so I adding all the sprinkles instead and melted my remaining bit of chocolate to drizzle on top.
Really, dudes. These are insanely easy and the ingredients make them a perfect morning, afternoon, post workout, evening, anytime sweet and healthy treat.
Let’s get baking today and smile because it’s Friday and smile because it’s a new day. And remember you matter. Whatever you’re doing, whoever you’re with or not with, you matter and you must keep going. For yourself, for your kid, your parents, your Jerry.
Actions over words. Even when you don’t feel like it, get up. Take step. Take next step. Repeat.
Happy Friday. Go put some sprinkles on it.
Vanilla Protein Blondies
- Hand mixer, stand mixer, baking pan
- 1/2 cup almond butter or sub peanut butter! I used a natural, fresh grind almond butter because it's what I had!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar sub brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup* sub honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 scoops Vanilla protein powder* optional
- 1/2 cup sprinkles, chocolate chips, nuts
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted to drizzle over top!
- Preheat over to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking pan. I sprayed my pan with cooking spray, lined it with parchment paper, and put more cooking spray on that!
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix together the almond butter, melted coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup until combined
- Mix in egg and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, baking soda, salt, and protein powder if using!
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix to combine
- With a rubber spatula, fold in chocolate chips and sprinkles!
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. It will be thick and a bit sticky! Spread out into the pan into a thing layer. It will be pretty thin, but remember we're going for a cookie like bar!
- Bake for 15-20mins until the edges are nice and golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean. I took mine out by the 18 minute mark becuase I like it rich and fudgy.
- Let cool in the pan for a good 10 minutes, then lift out and let cool on a rack or counter for another 10 minutes.
- Melt remaining few tablespoons of chocolate and drizzle over top. Add on extra sprinkles to make it pretty:)