Tuesday’s With Jerry
Em’s Peanut Butter Protein Bars
I’m going to cut right to the chase here.
And give the people what they want.
My mom makes the world’s best peanut butter bars. Simple, straightforward, to the point. Full of peanut butter, chocolate, cereal, and love.
Therefore, her daughter being who she is, had to trash them up with some of this crazy new protein cereal that you can find everywhere now, some organic peanut butter (sorry Jif), and all the dark chocolate chips.
I can’t help who I am you guys.
These little bars are crumbly, delicious, and honestly pretty darn good for you. Guilt free, some might say.
After melting together the creamy peanut butter with just a couple tablespoons of maple syrup, a pinch of salt, and some vanilla, I stirred in the pulverized cereal, pressed them into a pan, and dumped a bag of chocolate chips on top.
Could not be simpler. Go crazy with these. They are delightful and the easiest little bars of joy you might ever make. Perfect for a Tuesday during a pandemic.
My use of the protein cereal, the natural peanut butter, and the dark chocolate are what make these little guys better for you than your traditional bar. Less sugar, more protein, and sprinkles. Welcome to my world.
Cereal I used: Three Wishes *I got the honey kind!
Peanut butter of choice: Smuckers Organic Creamy Peanut Butter – hands down the best PB out there.
Chocolate Chips: Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips
Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- sauce pan
- 8x8 baking dish
- 1 cup Creamy Natural Peanut Butter Smuckers is my favorite! Get a good one with only peanuts and salt as the ingredients
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- pinch Salt
- 4 cups Cereal of choice, crushed up* I used Three Wishes grain free Honey flavored cereal
- 1 bag Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2-3 tbsp Sprinkles! optional..
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (this is to melt the chocolate chips later). In a microwave safe bowl, measuring cup, or over a doubler boiled (big bowl over a simmering pot of water) melt together the peanut butter and maple syrup. You want to thin it out and make it nice and drippy!
- Add in the vanilla and salt and stir.
- Using a food processor, blender, or simply a large plastic bag and something to whack it with, crush up the cereal! I left some pieces whole and others totally pulverized for different textures. You want it all crushed up to make it easier to mix together and so it doesn't crumble as much when they're done.
- In a big bowl, combine the peanut butter mixture with the cereal and mix it all to combine. It will be nice and thick and sticky now.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and parchment paper so the bars are easy to lift out. Dump the peanut butter and cereal mixture into the pan and, using your hands, press it firmly into the sides and corners. FIRMLY.
- Dump a bag of chocolate chips on top. Yep. Use the whole thing
- Stick the pan into the oven for 5-10 minutes until you see the choclate chips are melted. Use a spoon or knife to spread out the melted chocolate until it covers the bars. Sprinkle on the sprinkles while it's still warm and gooey!
- **Could easily melt the choclate chips in it's own bowl and pour on top if you really want to make these no bake. Totally up to you!
- Allow to set in the fridge for a good hour or so before slicing up!